Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone! Or Happy National Hangover day, to borrow Comedy Central's term. 2009 is already off to a good start with a deal between Time Warner and Viacom, allowing me to watch bad movies on Comedy Central. New Year's Day is a time for resolutions. I feel no need to put my personal resolutions up here, but I would like to make some for the blog and for entertainment. So here are this year's blogsolutions:

1. Write Shorter Reviews
I maintain that movies like Benjamin Button and Frost/Nixon needed all that space, but 6 paragraphs on Marley & Me? Really? In 2009, I vow to write more brief reviews. You're more likely to read them if they're short, and my grading can be kind of arbitrary.

2. Write More Like a Blog
I've mostly been writing movie reviews, TV recaps, and lists. In 2009, I'd like to do more column-style posts on whatever I happen to have an opinion about at the moment.

3. Stop Watching Bad Shows
This one's the resolution I'm least likely to follow. Heroes, Grey's Anatomy, and Entourage were all on probation going into the fall, yet I stuck by all of them. Still, Nip/Tuck has been unwatchable for two years now, so if this week's season premiere doesn't wow me, I'm done. Ditto Heroes' fourth season in February. And if Ghost Denny gets added into Grey's Anatomy's opening credits, you can check me out of Seattle Grace.

4. Italicize
I've avoided italicizing movie and TV show titles out of laziness. But that could lead to confusion, if say the show was also a character's name. So this year I'll put in the extra minimal effort. I've already started in resolution #3.

5. Finish The Wire
This isn't really blog-related, but it does question my credibility as a television writer that I've only seen two out of The Wire's five seasons. Plus, it's a really good show.

So that's my plan for 2009. Anyone have any entertainment resolutions of their own? Comment away.

1 comment:

JeffJulian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.