Monday, January 12, 2009

I Shouldn't Predict the Globes

The main thing I got out of tonight's Golden Globe Awards is that I suck at predicting them. I did ok in TV, getting 9 out of the 11 categories (missing only Gabriel Byrne and Anna Paquin). But in film, I only managed 5 out of 14, which is downright abysmal. And with those 5 consisting of no-brainers like Heath Ledger, Springsteen, Wall-E, Waltz with Bashir, and to a lesser extent Kate Winslet for Revolutionary Road, I've got nothing to be proud of.

I can't comment much on the TV ceremony (I was watching 24), but awards-wise it was Slumdog Millionaire's night, as it took score, screenplay, director, and drama. It was all a question of whether Slumdog's international-ness could compete with Benjamin Button's epic-ness, and tonight the better movie won. Expect Slumdog to repeat the trick at the Oscars, even with stiffer competition in Milk and The Dark Knight.

The other big story is Kate Winslet's double wins for Revolutionary Road and The Reader. The Globes clearly loved Kate Winslet more than Meryl Streep, who struck out in both drama and comedy. Seems like Oscar voters have to give Winslet her first win this year, but for what?

Elsewhere, critics will be pleased by the Colin Farrell and Sally Hawkins wins. Mickey Rourke gets a boost in a tough fight against Sean Penn at the Oscars. And a number of frontrunners are solidified. Oscar nominations are announced in a week and a half. Hopefully I'll have better predictions then than I did this time.

No comments: